Here are some ideas from our recent Sirens chats. (We’ll be hosting another chat on Sunday, April 7, 2-3 p.m. Eastern, and we’d love for you to join us!)
- Genre boundaries between fantasy and science fiction, or young adult and new adult and adult, or SFF and “magical realism”—where and why do those boundaries exist? How and why do they change? How are they changing right now?
- A panel: Our Favorite Fantasy Books That No One Has Heard Of (But We Think You Should Read Them Now)
- Reunion remix themes! Monster warriors, fairy retellings, warrior fairies…
- Programming on characters identified with nonbinary genders and orientations.
- Readers’ wishlist panel. (What do you wish you saw more of? What do you have plenty of? What do you, as a reader, want to encourage in fantasy?)
- Idea: What does our idea of "what fairies are REALLY like," which changes so frequently, have to say about what we're looking for from the mysterious?
- Cycles and patterns of particular tropes—what does it mean when our views on werewolves and vampires and fairies and witches change directions? What does it reflect?
- “A readers advisory for librarians—girls who enjoy fantasy, looking outside the usual suspects.”
- Panel or roundtable: Why do you read fantasy?
- Best/most useful social media, websites, and organizations for readers
- Women--creators and characters-- in fantasy-related comics and graphic novels
We’ve summarized or quoted just enough of the conversation to give you an idea. We've also left out anything specific that it sounded like was already in progress, or could be soon. You might also check out some brainstorming and topic giveaway posts from the first four years of Sirens: here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.
- Let us know if you’d like to take on any of these ideas and we'll cross it out (with no guarantee that someone else won't propose it--just as a note that someone is working on it).
- Please feel free to look for collaborators, to add more ideas, to take ideas, and to discuss ideas in the comments.
- If you're looking for more programming help, check out the programming tag.
And if you're looking for co-presenters, you can also place an ad in one--or all--of these places:
Sirens message boards